Bring your car to show first responders at our "Tesla Crash Course" workshop
As the number of Tesla vehicles on the roads grows, so does the chance that a first responder will need to interact with a Tesla in some capacity. Recognizing the need for first responders to safely operate and handle Tesla vehicles in emergency situations, DVTOC created "Tesla Crash Course" to provide first responders the opportunity to be exposed to Tesla vehicles first hand.
Service to our community is an important part of the Tesla Owner's Club mission. That is why we are inviting enthusiastic and experienced Tesla owners to participate in our "Tesla Crash Course" and maybe also learn a thing or two about what to do in emergency situations.
The first part of the workshop is a PowerPoint presentation given by club leaders in a classroom setting followed by Q&A. Then we all go outside to interact with the vehicles and first responders (police, fire, EMS). Ideally we try to have at least 2 of each model. That is why we have limited spots for each Tesla model.
This Crash Course will take place in Point Pleasant Beach NJ on Saturday October 15th. The workshop begins at 9:00 am. If possible we ask participants to arrive 15 minutes early so we can stage the cars. However, arrival up to about 1 hour after the start of the workshop is fine as long as you let us know.
Registrants will be provided detailed instructions in advance. An alternate nearby location for the hands-on portion of the workshop will be provided in case of rain. A club sponsored lunch for volunteers will follow the event at a nearby restaurant.
New participants will receive an 11x17 laminated emergency response guide for their model to keep and a Roadside Emergency Quick Guide.
Check out pictures from past Crash Course workshops in Millburn NJ, Westfield NJ, Atco NJ and Monmouth Junction NJ and Hamilton NJ .
What do I need to do to participate?
- Register with the model you will bring.
- Most importantly, if you register, please attend. We are counting on you.
- If anything comes up, that would prevent you from attending, please let us know as soon as possible so we can find a replacement for your model.
- If all slots are full, register for the waiting list. If someone cancels, we will contact you.
Do I need to have any specialized knowledge or experience?
- No, but participants should be comfortable with the operation and features of their vehicle.
Will there be any homework?
- Yes, you will be asked to review the first responder guide for your model which we will provide before the workshop.
- You will also be provided with handouts and instructions to review to prepare.
What time should I arrive and how long will it last?
- Participants should park in the designated area before the start of the workshop. Details to be provided in the reminder email.
- If you arrive late that is fine, park near the other Teslas and join us inside or for the hands-on portion of the workshop.
- The workshop is expected to last about 2-3 hours depending on how many attendees there are and how much interest there is in the vehicles.
- You'll be invited to join the club members for a free lunch after the workshop. Location will be announced prior to the event.
What parts of the workshop will I participate in?
- Attend the presentation
- Opportunity to participate in the Q&A panel if you would like to answer questions, generally about EV ownership
- Interact with first responders during hands-on demo to point out things like how to open doors, operate the vehicle, use the key card, etc. Remember, they may need to move an operational vehicle off the road.
- Some owners like to offer test rides in their cars; but that is optional, not an official part of the workshop.
What should I wear?
- DVTO Club T-shirt, official Tesla T-shirt, or first responder shirt
What is the plan in case of rain?
- The event is rain or shine. If necessary, an alternate location for the hands-on portion of the workshop will be provided in case of inclement weather.
Any other questions, please email us at DelValTesla@gmail.com
Please note that we always follow the CDC, State, and Local guidelines for gatherings and we request our attendees to also follow those guidelines.